Monday, February 2, 2009

The flow

I'm in this strange poetic mood.

What I mean to say is that the poetry flowing my pen is not my usual style, nor my usual subject matter. I know why I'm in the poetry mood. Bruce* (my super muse).

Its not neccessarily that he inspires the words that flow from my pen. Its more that when I am near him the door to my creative primordial self is opened a little wider. Its just something that happens.

The other strange thing about the poetry... it comes from real emotions, but it seems to take on a life of its own. The simple feeling of loss, or the complicated one of love, the convuluted nature of anger and the unknown of death. Recently all of them have been magnified within my poetry.

It could be that the crazy planet in charge of communications is a little wonky right now. Mercury retrograde. God I hate this time of year (and the other times it happens through out the year). Nothing ever comes out like I intend. But in this case I am pleaseantly surprised.

My stuff has an edge to it, a cadence that speaks on its own. The words are simple but they spread out across the page like the web of a thousand spiders. Interconnected and yet so seperate.

So now my notebook runneth over.

I am, in my opinion, and accomplished spoken word poet. I am still a bit of an ametuer but, I am damn good. I have qualified for two seperate Nationals Slam teams (one of which will actually go to the nationals and the other will not). I have been asked to feature at 2 seperate venues. One feature has been completed. I was a little dissappointed by it. (Bruce* slept through the whole thing LOL) But this next one I am very excited about.

It will be on Feb 10th (thats a tuesday) at Rejavanate Coffee shop on 3300 E Flamingo Rd. Las Vegas, NV 89121 at 7pm. I am totally stoked! They asked me a few months ago to do a feature and was scheduled to do it at the begining of this month, but with scheduling conflicts and the like I was rescheduled to Feb 10th.

Well since the begining of my spoken word poetry venture I started writing more poetry (I wasn't really much of a poet before). And I began keeping it in a regular 1/2" binder inside of sheet protectors. Well I only had a few spare protectors. And now my notebook runneth over. I don't have enough protectors for everything I have written and I am putting two sheets into each protector! (for the cool front and back printed effect)

I have organized the poems I intend to do next week into the front of my binder. But I will also be taking requests. If any of you have heard or read anything I have done (most of it is posted over on the other blog) and you would like to request that I perform it, I will gladly do so. Just leave a comment.

I am going to be recording this particular performance. And as soon as I can figure out how to get the video uploaded from my camcorder to the computer I'll post it here as well as on YouTube.

*names have been changed to protect the innocent, the a**holes and the clueless.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Dude! I am sooo pissed that I missed your venue...I had every intention of going!!!!

-Joanie