Wednesday, March 4, 2009

The GODS of Rock

U2


Yes that awesomest of bands, the greatest of rockers, the men of soul and substance have a new CD out... I bought it yesterday. And damn if that wasn't an experience.

So I work only a few short blocks away from where the Ex lives (that would be Bruce* the Asshole). And literally right around the corner from his house is a shopping center where there is a Best Buy and the store where Steve* works... I being the biggest U2 fan ever was upset with myself that I didn't already have a copy of No Line on the Horizon. So on my lunch break yesterday I decided to go get my copy... the only problem is that the closest place to where I work where I can buy it is... yup you guessed it... the Best Buy around the corner from where Asshole lives and in the shopping center where Steve* works.... Fuck me.

So I went. Hell if the only place to buy the CD had been out of Bruce's* living room I would have gone. On the way there I started having a panic attack. My heart started racing, I started sweating but I was cold, My hands started to shake. it was awful.

The whole way there Thoughts kept running through my head like:
"Shit if I run into him here he's going to think I'm a psycho stalker!"
"If I run into him here I might go nuts and attack him... I am a Psycho!!"
"OMG! what if I run into him and he's with that bimbo he cheated on me with?"
"Fuck if I run into Steve* and he tries to make convo with me I might slap him... then EZ would be mad with me"
"Shit what happens if I run into Bruce* and he falls to his knees and grovels for me to take him back" I'm so crazy I just might...NO DON"T LISTEN TO THE CRAZY WOMAN!!!

Damn it all to Hell!!! then I get there and I'm so nervous and twitchy the whole time I'm in the store that the people keep coming to ask me if I need any help or if I have found everything... Not because they were friendly but because I looked a shoplifter. Shifty eyes that keep glancing over my shoulder and peeking around the corner of every aisle I'm about to walk down.... sheesh.

It was horrible!

By the time I got my purchases paid for and I was out in my car, I was drenched in sweat and as nervous as a long tailed cat in a room full of rocking chairs... I ripped the thin plastic wrapper from the coveted special edition CD and reverently placed the holy disc into the car's CD player...

Then all was right with the world

Life was back to normal

I listed to that CD 4 times yesterday and as I sit here typing I am one song away from the end of today's first round (there will be many many more today).

I am struck by how varied the music is on this album. It runs the gamut from traditional U2 tunes to some experimental sounds. And unlike the POP album, all of it is good... I will not blaspheme by saying that anything by U2 is bad... but not all of it is Joshua Tree worthy. This album could the beginning of a beautiful run... every song has its own personality and rhythm. My favorite so far on this album is Moment of Surrender

Here are my favorite lyrics from that song:

At the moment of surrender
I folded to my knees
I did not notice the passers-by
And they did not notice me
I've been in every black hole
At the altar of the dark star
My body's now a begging bowl
That's begging to get back, begging to get back
To my heart
To the rhythm of my soul
To the rhythm of my unconsciousness
To the rhythm that yearns
To be released from control

Truly beautiful words... they touched me...

I made a second purchase yesterday too.. I bought the latest Kid Rock album Rock n' Roll Jesus. The first two songs on the disc are just Eh.. not much to listen to, feel free to skip past them.. but everything else on that disc is BAD ASS!! My favorite song on that disc is called Sugar, its my new rock anthem

here are the opening lyrics to that song:

Hard to remember if anything was real
Cold like December and I don't like how that feels
I been livin' a long time
I been givin' a long time too
And I can't believe I wasted so much time on you
But time has brought me back around
Back around to me
And I feel so free

WOOT!! it's a rockin ass song.. lots of nasty lyrics... Good for the soul to get nasty every now and then...


Mini Update:
Online Dating tends to suck.. with one exception (blog coming soon)
Guys are way too obsessed with the size my boobs (blog coming soon)
I'm having a poker night at my house (blog coming tomorrow)
My sister who makes me look completely sane is coming into town this weekend (god save us all)
MY SON COUNTED TO TEN ALL BY HIMSELF!!! (blog coming tomorrow)

*names have been changed to protect the innocent, the a**holes and the clueless.

No comments: