Friday, December 19, 2008

The Mom test

Are you a super mom? I think I am. But I would not be one without the aid of my super mom and my spectacular sister.

here is how the week went:
Monday - normal but hectic at work because I was off the Friday before... and we all know how that goes..

Tuesday - Read all about it here. I was stressed out and anxious by the time I got to work...

Wednesday - DJ wakes up with his left eye swollen shut. I call in to work and make an appointment with his pediatrician. My mom happens to be off that day and offers to drive us to the doc. Well she really doesn't have a choice, I don't have a car right now and my doc is all the way across town. We get the first appointment. Dr. M walks in takes one look at his eye and says "Conjunctivitis". Its a chest cold that has spread to his eye. So he checks his ears, because if there is infection in the eye... there is infection in the ears... and yup.. little guy is infected in both ears... and he's not even running a fever!!! So we are released with a prescription for Amoxicilin (which he has had for ear infections before) and some eye drops called Vigamox. My mom offers to watch DJ for the rest of the day so that I can go back to work. She also offers to pick up his meds if I can pay her back. They turn out to be $45.00. I'm at work and get a call on my cell from mom. Apparently the eye drops burn. She had to sit on him to put them in....

Bruce picks me up from work and we go to my mom's for cookie baking and Meatloaf.. yummy. Everyone has a good time.... except for the 10 mins it took to put Dj's eye drops in...
And it snowed!!! You can see the aftermath of our record snowfall Here and Here

Thursday - Seemed to be a normal day... everything started out ok. Eye drops went in. Antibiotics went in... DJ goes to school and I go to work... After work I go back to my mom's so she can help me put more eye drops in. DJ likes taking his antibiotics so this goes down easy. then she asks me to bake some pecan cookies... no biggie. I bake, DJ watches Cartoons, Mom does laundry, and Sparky, who came over, watches cartoons with DJ. Dj has a cookie from the first batch of pecan cookies... and about 20 mins later he begins itching... this is no alarm because he has eczema so he is always itchy. but when I take his shirt off to put him into his jammies (we are staying the night at mom's she can help with eye drops in the morning) I find that he has a few hives on his tummy and arms, and in less than 2 minutes right before my eyes he goes from a few to covered.... OMG!!! its the beginning stages of anaphalaxis... I know this because both Myself and my sister have gone through it before. So the three of us gather DJ up and hop into the car. on the way I call his dad and tell him what is going on and that I need money for DJ's ER copay ($100!!!). and I ask if he wants to come... its no surprise that he doesn't and that he is begrudging me asking for the money. Since Baby Daddy is on the way to the hospital we swing by and get the money. I ask again "Are you sure you don't want to come with?" "Yeah I'd rather just sleep" (fuck head).

So we get the ER and are rushed in to the back... My adrenalin is pumping. I'm sweating in the 28 degree weather. DJ is running around, covered in hives with his tongue starting to swell, acting like an airplane. The ER doc walks in looks at the hives and says "that's an amoxicilin rash"
Oh yeah my kid has developed an allergy to amoxicilin. the most commonly prescribed antibiotic on the market. So they give DJ some steroids and antihistamines. Keep him for observation for an hour and send us home. They whole time we are there DJ acts like he is at a friends house playing. he hides behind curtains and plays peek-a-boo, He babbles to every person who walks in the door, and he continues to act like an airplane.

SO I take him and my mom and Sparky home to drop them off so that they can go to sleep while I go fill the new prescriptions. This time the money came from EZ, she loaned me $40 so I could get them. She is a great Auntie!!

I finally get home and into bed (my mom's house on the futon). its 1 am.

Which brings us to Friday: My alarm goes off at 5:30 am (yeah it sucks). I get up and start getting everything going for the day. Baby Daddy doesn't call... ever, instead he sends me a text message at 7 am.... I know he has been up since 5 am...

ugh I am so not stressing about this right now. Tonight DJ and I are going over to Bruce's house. His mom will be in town TOMORROW night. so this will probably be the last night for a week that I will get to spend with him... I am planning on doing nothing more than cuddling with the two most important guys in my life and watching movies.... maybe eat some popcorn or something...


*names have been changed to protect the innocent, the a**holes and the clueless.

2 comments:

Grace said...

DJ SOUNDS LIKE A GRRRRRREAT KID!

Hope you have a great weekend!

Poetry Sue said...

DJ is an amazing kid